Verified Buyer

Several months ago my wife and I purchased a home and subscribed to American Home Shield with a platinum contract. Recently I experienced trouble with my HVAC as well as a roof leak.

I submitted two service requests on a Saturday afternoon at a cost of $100 each. I understood the terms of the agreement and knew it would cost $100 for each service request. Very few companies nowadays will come out to look at your problems for free so as long as AHS held up their end of the bargain I was OK with it. I waited for 5 days and never heard back from AHS.

Not a phone call, text or email. Nothing. I called them and after waiting on hold for a long time I finally spoke to someone who told me that they hadn't even started working on either of my requests. They were not able to tell me when I could expect a call back regarding the status of either request.

The person I spoke with had barely passable English speaking skills. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told none were available but one would call me within 24 hours. I called back the next day and the day after that and the day after that in the hope of getting any response at all. Each time I spoke with a person who could barely speak English and more importantly couldn't provide me with any answers.

One day the person I was speaking with, informed me that he had to drop my call in order to take another call but that he would call me back within 2 hours. I never heard from him again. Each day I asked to speak with a supervisor and each time I was told none were available ,but one would call me back within 24 hours. I never got a call from any supervisors.

More than a week passed before I heard from anyone at AHS. When I did get a phone call, all they told me who said they were trying to find a contractor to come out and inspect my HVAC. It was now 10 days later and they were still attempting to find anyone who could provide the needed service. Several more days passed and still no word from AHS regarding any progress on my HVAC.

I received a call from AHS today stating that they were unable to find any contractor to inspect the roof leak, but that I could find one on my own, and they would pay for the work provided that I followed their guidelines for service contractors. I asked for a copy of their guidelines in writing, so I would be sure to follow them correctly, only to be told they could only tell me over the telephone. Nothing was going to be in writing. They spoke very quickly and in generalities so I asked for more details, ie the service contractor would be required to have insurance.

OK, what type of insurance? Workman's comp, auto insurance, etc?. No response. Again, I asked to speak with a supervisor and was promptly told the supervisor would only tell me the same thing.

For whatever reason I was then put on hold again. While on hold I decided that after almost 2 weeks of trying to get someone to come out to my home and make the necessary repairs and still having nothing to show for my money and effort I hung up and call another 800 number for AMH and canceled my contract with them.

User's recommendation: Take my advice and stay far away from AHS. In my case they did absolutely nothing to help me.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Home Warranty.

American Home Shield Cons: Total waste of my time and money.

Location: Miami, Florida