Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
Turnaround Time

I have been paying for this warranty for over 8 years. I have had the HVAC system cleaned and serviced by AHS contractors over the years.

The HVAC system is now 20 years old. I have had numerous repairs on the system in the last 3-4 years (about 2-3 times per year). Just this month, they denied the repair because of faulty wiring. I had to point out to them that it was one of their contracted companies that touched the wiring on the last repair.

They agreed to do get a second opinion from the company that did the wiring. They fixed it!! (for 3 days). It broke again.

It needs a new compressor. Both companies agree - the compressor is bad. Rather than change out the whole system, they want to band aid it again. The charge for me with the insurance is $465 ($195 for disposal and recovery and $270 for freon).

If I want to replace the system on my own, they will give my $565 towards a new unit - which will cost me $4300 (A quote I got from a different HVAC company). Their contractor quoted me $6200!!

If I just change out the compressor like they recommend, the HVAC guy said that they lines are filled with acid and will keep failing. AHS said that it would also take 3-5 business days to get the new compressor in - who knows how long I would have to wait to get on the schedule for them to replace it. In the meantime, I have had a tenant without heat or air since March 8.

I am a good landlord. I am tired of messing around with AHS, so I am paying to have the system replaced and want to fight them.

This warranty is useless.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Warranty.

American Home Shield Cons: Wait times for repair, Wait times for evaluation.

• Worthless Warranty

Comments

Thanks for your comment. I got their ad in the mail and almost signed up.

But you've convinced me to throw it in the trash. :-) Appreciate your candor.