Bullhead City, Arizona

Have had AHS warranty on rental home over four years. Hot water heater went out.

I called AHS who scheduled a tech to arrive between 10 am and 2pm two days later with promise of 30 min. warning time for tenant. At 9:30 am on day of arrival, he calls to say he is 5 min away and cannot wait for me to notify tenant because, "this is my last call in this town and then I am out of here." Arrived, spent 5 min and said, "You need a hot water heater". ??

He has to go back to his store, 35 miles away to write up and order. When order arrives, it has $525.00 worth of additional uncovered parts, pipes and tanks that he states are "needed for code." One of which is to keep the water from freezing. We live in the Mohave desert, the heater is in the garage. Learned from local Pluming Contractor that no additional parts were needed, everything was up to code.

Called AHS and was told by very rude agent that they would not replace heater without the additional parts. Offered cash out? In the meantime, I had to install a new water heater at the cost of $690.00 for a very unhappy tenant. Its been over a week and nothing.

I called today and was told they are offering a total of $396.71 which is their cost for the heater, minus the $125.00 service call which I have to pay. And I have to produce the receipts before they will send the check. Add this to the premiums for four years, pretty expensive water heater. When I demanded to speak to a supervisor, I was told they were out, at luch, no use because they would only tell me the same thing.

The cash out price is NOT negotiable. Good luck with this or any other appliance warranty company.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Water Heater Warranty.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Comments

The EXACT same thing happened to me - down to the penny of the "code" updates!

American Home Shield Reviews