1.3K views
1.4
Service Scheduling
Turnaround Time

Update by user Feb 04, 2018

Now I am filing a complaint with the Florida attorney generals office claiming they are a SCAM !!! After that I guess there is no recourse other than small claims court. Looks like that IS where this is headed.

Original review posted by user Jan 04, 2018

By FAR the absolute WORST company I have EVER dealt with. ALWAYS have an hour or MORE wait on hold to speak to ANYONE.

I purchased a AHS warranty on the advise of my real estate agent when I purchased my home in Florida. THAT was my first mistake !! I was in the home about 2 months when I realized my heat pump was not blowing cool air causing the unit to run 24/7 resulting in a massive power bill. AHS sent Total Air Care ( another loser of a company) to fix it.

$75 thank you very much. I the left in my RV for a 6 month trip around the U.S. Returned in Sept. and my unit was not blowing cool air AGAIN !!!

$350 power bill that should have been no more than $125.! Total Air care ( AGAIN !! ) they fixed it again, for about 10 days and it again went on the fritz !! ANOTHER $350 power bill.

Total Air came back AGAIN !! Fixed it again !! for another 2 weeks. Then in November we had a cold weekend.

GUESS WHAT, NO HEAT !! Spent the entire weekend with the temp in my home around 50*. Can't get a hold of Total Air they or AHS do not answer the phone on weekends. I am telling AHS it is time to replace this unit.

NO CHANCE they point the finger at Total Air, Total Air points the finger at AHS.

NOW I have to go to small claims court to get some satisfaction. Do yourselves a BIG favor, when someone suggests a AHS warranty, RUN AWAY

Product or Service Mentioned: Total Air Care Heat Pump Repair.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I liked: Initially good but has gotten flaky.

I didn't like: Too long of wait on the phone, Would not recommend them, Wait time to talk to rep, Customer service or promptness, Lethargic customer service.

Comments

agree

Never, ever involve the state Attorney General. The first thing they will do is slap YOU under the microscope and check you out back to the day of your birth looking for unfiled tax returns, unpaid balances, court decisions, civil suits, etc.

They will be more than happy to slap liens against YOU but will do very little (likely nothing) to resolve your complaint.

Their primary function is to be the state's collection agency - they are not your friends and should be avoided like the plague. Vote against each incumbent every chance you get.

to Anonymous #1629502

NOT TRUE !! They were VERY HELPFUL !!!

Had the same type of problem with them.100*heat in July. Took days to get the one company they liked to come out.

Short story,he quoted 2500. repair on ac. We took advice of friend.called Blue Star. Sergio came out that very hot night.

Spent an hour. Fixed the a.c. For 450.00. Terrible phone service to ahs.

Told them they were Fired!! Now we are turned over to collection agency.

And we will fight. Sun city Texas homeowners.

having same problem except I have been with them for 13 years and my unit is broken every summer and every winter. On hold with them now.

I am demanding a new unit. Did you win in court?

to Rene #1625271

Rena, I never took them to court. To my dismay I found that to even file in small claims court in Florida it costs over $300.

Instead I filed a complaint with the State of Florida Attorney Generals office , and another with the BBB. The attorney generals office seemed to get their attention. They FINALLY sent a different contractor out from Gainsville. He took one look and said YEA , he could fix this unit, he proceeded to put a bill in to AHS for the repairs.

When AHS found that the bill for the repair was more than a thousand $$ more than a new unit GUESS WHAT HAPPENED ??? YEA AHS FINALLY did the right thing and replaced the unit with a brand new unit !! Yea IT DOES happen !! MY power bill is now NEVER over $150 a month.

SO after almost a year of being hot and sweaty in the summer and freezing cold in the winter and having power bills in the $450 to $500 range, About 6 months after this all came down AHS CANCELLED my contract !!!! REALLY ???? GOOD!!!!! IF you add up all the massive power bills and the monthly fee to AHS plus the freezing and the sweating I could have bought a new unit !!!

At least its over and I figure I'm about even money wise.

GOOD LUCK !! YOU WILL NEED IT !!!!

It sounds like AHS and Total Air Care acted in accordance with the policy: they diagnosed the system failure, made a repair, and you were satisfied enough to leave town for 6 months. The free recall period had long since passed, therefore, a new claim would need to be started, which it sounds like you did.

AHS and Total Air Care responded again, And made another adjustment to your AC system. The heat problem could be completely unrelated to the AC problem, but your knee jerk reaction is that the entire system needs replacing. Would that be your reaction if you DIDN’T have a home warranty? Probably not.

Usually customers without a home warranty want to consider their options, and have repair scenarios to consider. However, WITH a home warranty, customers believe replacement is the only option. You don’t get the choice of options, when using a home warranty company. It is up to the contractor to turn in a recommendation to AHS, not the homeowner.

The actual customer is AHS, not the homeowner. The homeowner is beside the point. The contractor’s recommendation only takes one thing into consideration: his cost. AHS and all warranty companies require their contractors to keep their average ticket total around $200-$230, regardless of the system failures they encounter or the total number of claims they get.

The only thing that matters is the cost, to the contractor. If the contractor has to spend more on a particular house (which they do, all the time) the money comes out of HIS pocket, NOT AHS’s. Therefore, the contractor has the insane business model of NOT fixing things to satisfy the homeowner. It is completely backwards from the free market, where businesses charge enough to cover the costs plus enough extra for taxes, insurance, and any PROFIT.

In the free market, contractors bend over backwards to ensure satisfaction, and their reputation is as important as their bottom line. Home warranty work tosses everything rational out the window.

The only thing that matters is call volume and average cost per call. Your satisfaction and the contractor’s reputation are both sacrificed upon the altar at AHS and any other home warranty company out there.

to Anonymouse #1599632

Couldn't have stated it better myself. People mistake "home warranty" for "factory" or "manufacturer's" warranty.

It is not. It is more like an insurance company whose job is to put you back to where you were immediately before the failure (i.e. you had a used stove, that's what you walk away with).

Therefore, one will encounter the twin departments of Delay and Deny ; and, if lucky, have things temporarily repaired with used or aftermarket parts, usually provided by the "lowest bidder" or companies that are not well known in your area. Better to save your money and fix things from your own fund under your own conditions of selection and results.

thinwater
to Anonymouse #1625277

WHAT DO YOU WORK FOR AHS ??? The MAJOR problem seemed to be the air handling blower, it was not moving the air into the house, hence the $500 power bills. IF AHS had sent a GOOD contractor out in the first place it probably would NOT have gone this far.

to thinwater #1676117

I work for a home warranty contractor. We service AHS and other home warranty companies.

The business model is designed to leave the customer out of the decision making, and doesn’t take their needs into account. The premiums paid by the customer are never channeled to the contractor. The home warranty companies never have to pay out claims, because the contractors pay out for them, only as a last resort.

If this is the type of service you are fine with, then home warranties are perfect for you. If you like to wait, fight and argue, then you are in the right place.

I think Pam Bondi should do something for the people that voted her into office. I am dealing with AHS right now

to James #1625275

Her Office DID HELP !!! I do not think my out come would have been the same without the attorney generals office. THANKS !!

Yeah, that's TOTALLY USELESS !!! Filling a complaint with the Florida attorney generals office claiming they are a SCAM !!!!! If my laundry washer and dryer broke down for the first time ever, then those repair people would fix those for me immediately!!!!!

to Stanciohb #1599636

The state's Attorney General is NOT YOUR FRIEND. Before even reading the substance of your gripe, they will check you out thoroughly for back taxes, failure to file this that or the other thing, your criminal record, etc. Be very careful before entering the snake's nest.

thinwater

They are TOTALLY USELESS !!! Filing a complaint with the Florida attorney generals office claiming they are a SCAM !!!!!

to thinwater #1599637

The Attorney General is NOT YOUR FRIEND. They will thoroughly check YOU out but don't expect to get anywhere with your complaint.

If you've got any skeletons in your closet (financial, criminal, civil) stay away from the AG. You have been advised.

to Anonymous #1600099

You are ALL WRONG. Attorney general did stand up to AHS.

And FINALLY after sending Totally Useless Air Care out here for the 10th time, and me being without heat for several very cold weekends, AHS sent a GOOD contractor out here from Gainsville. Burlinson Services looked at this thing and said it was a JOKE. It would cost more to fix it right than to replace it, but he was going to put in the request to repair it, but all the parts and labor would cost more than a new unit. AHS FINALLY did the RIGHT thing, ( as long as I retracted my complaint from the attorney generals office) and 2 weeks later Burlinson Services were back here installing a brand new unit.

I had to pay for the new duct work, which Burlinson did for less that half what other companies had quoted me.

So FINALLY a happy ending in the sunshine state!! Thank you AHS, and, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Burlinson Services

to thinwater #1604937

Then AHS cancelled my contract !!! Goodbye AHS you WON'T be missed.

to thinwater #1629153

Just wait until your tax audit arrives.