I purchased a home warranty through AHS and immediately ran into problems when I first attempted to use their service.I called in three separate issues, and was told that each one was a separate trade call at the tune of $125.00 each.

The first was a plumber who came to investigate a leak that had caused an overhead light fixture to blow and other damage to a room below. After less than 5 minutes I was told that the issue was grout, and that AHS doesn't cover that nor will they cover the water damage to the light and ceiling below. Strike 1. Next came the electrician to investigate why the bathroom lights weren't working properly.

Turns out a dimmer switch is out, which he replaced (upside down I might add), and charged me $125. He wouldn't however look at the other outlets I wanted fixed since I didn't put that on the original trade call. Strike 2. The third call was for a JennAir double oven where the top oven didn't work and the plastic control panel was cracked making it nearly unusable.

Again, $125 for the visit. He told me it was a heating element, which AHS should cover, and the control panel, which they probably wouldn't cover. After a month, I got an e-mail saying this particular service job was complete after nothing was done. I called them and they said they wouldn't cover the plastic panel since I caused the damage myself, and that their was no record of a heating element.

Strike 3. So after 5 month of monthly payments totaling more than $200 and $250 in trade calls, I got an upside dimmer switch installed. By the way, AHS is coming after me for the $125 for the plumber trade call for the grout advice. Their model is to get you in the door, charge you for the service calls, and then basically tell you they don't cover anything.

It's a scam. Even the service reps told me they hate it because customers get angry with them for charging the service fee and then not fixing anything. You are far, far better off finding your own service person, and hiring them directly.

If it's a big ticket item like HVAC, these can be financed over time and you typically get an energy saving break.Just say no to AHS.

This person wrote the review because of bad quality of american home shield home warranty from American Home Shield. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants American Home Shield to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by American Home Shield for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments