2.5

If you are considering buying a home warranty policy from AHS, you really need to have an attorney review the contract. What YOU think it says in black and white, is not what AHS will say when you need something repaired or replaced.

I recently was told by a service provider that my water heater needed replacing, AHS stated my out of pocket costs would be over $1000 for modifications that would need to be done to bring the new unit up to code.

The ServicePlus Package in my policy states these modifications are covered; however AHS disagreed and therefore I lost that discussion. They were willing to offer $773 as a "cash out" option if I wanted to use my own Plumbing company, however the cost of the new 80 gallon water heater is $1100 (not including labor).....so once again they win - the customer loses!

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Home Warranty.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Preferred solution: AHS to cover modification costs and install equivalent unit.

• Beware Of Coverage

Comments

To The Original Poster

Looks to me the contract says they cover if IMPROPER installations, repairs, modifications were made to the item and caused or helped cause failure, not certain modifications needed during the new install.

I am not defending the contractor for the astronomical price, I would say homeowners get short end because they need something like a water heater quickly, nor am I defending the lowball "cash out".

Yep, they did the same to me as well. I ended up buying the water heater and putting it in myself.

They would not even cover the cost of the water heater because I installed it myself. I paid them $67 for over five years, but when I needed them make it right they totally failed.

American Home Shield Reviews