I have a home warranty, with American Home Shield, for a rental house. On March 6, 2022, the tenant, a single mom and 2 small children, called me to report that her furnace was making a very loud noise and it was not heating a large portion of the house.

I submitted a service request to AHS. AHS assigned the repair request to Service 1 Heating & Air Conditioning, in Redding, on that date. Several days later Service 1 contacted me to schedule the repair. The rep said the next available appointment was March 16 and, though I explained the situation, he said he was unable to get out there any earlier, so I agreed to have the tenant meet him on that date.

I knew that Service 1 was required by the contract to send a report to AHS within 24 hours to so that repairs could be authorized, so I waited a couple of days. Having heard nothing from AHS or the service contractor, I contacted AHS for an update. The customer service person said she would contact the contractor and expedite the process. This scenario has repeated itself at least 4 times over the last 10 days.

The contractor has not responded to AHS, nor to any of the 10 phone messages Ive left. The problem with AHS is that they refuse to assign another service contractor despite the fact that it is very clear the one they assigned is totally unresponsive. Each AHS customer service rep. goes over the exact same script whenever I contact them; they refuse to let me speak to a supervisor or manager, and they refuse to provide me with documentation of any kind to confirm their efforts to resolve this matter.

My account on the AHS website, absurdly enough, recommends that I contact the contractor to schedule an appointment. While my tenants continue to be without heat, I feel like a hamster on a never-ending wheel.

User's recommendation: Stay away from American Home Shield.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Location: Redding, California