I live in South Carolina and I chose American Home Shield (AHS) warranty coverage. The purpose of this letter is to convey how very disappointed I am in American Home Shield (AHS) and how they manage conflict resolution.

I have been with AHS for a few months now and never missed a payment. My water was backing up into my downstairs bathroom. This was a sign of a plumbing stoppage, which is covered under the home warranty. The representative they sent to my home diagnosed the problem as a full septic tank and that it needed to be drained. He told my wife that AHS does not cover septic drainage and gave her a referral. We paid AHS a service fee of a $100.

The referred company did not have a technician available and we had water and *** backing up into our downstairs bathroom. So we called another company and their technician located the septic tank and concluded that the septic tank was not full and that there was a stoppage causing the backup. He cleared the drain and everything returned to normal. He charged $425 for this service.

Stoppages are covered under the AHS policy. I called AHS to tell them their technician was wrong it was stoppage and not a full septic tank, the purpose of getting this warranty is to alleviate the hassle of additional charges. To make me whole, I was expecting a refund on my $100 service fee for the wrong diagnosis, which costed me an additional $425. I talked to two AHS customer service representatives, and they both said that I would not be refunded the service fee.

Because AHS chooses not to make me whole in this situation, I have lost confidence in their service and would not recommend them to anyone else.

I didn't like: Poor customer service.

Comments

That is not an equipment malfunction ; it is fatally improper maintenance by the owner.Septic tanks must be routinely pumped and should be regularly checked. The warranty for your car doesn't cover driving into a tree.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but this is all your fault if the only, true, actual problem was an not-pumped septic tank.

That said, you must never consider a home warranty in the same vein as a regular manufacturer's warranty. Think more like insurance, with the evil twins Delay and Deny in charge, and their Uncle Culpability having the final say.

to Steve #1497804

The problem was a plumbing stoppage, which is covered under the AHS warranty.Note*The septic tank was not the problem.