Verified Reviewer

I am filing a formal complaint against American Home Shield for attempting to elude their contractual obligations to me as a paying customer. I have a home warranty so that when something breaks in my home I can get it repaired inexpensively and in a timely manner.

However, this has not been my experience in my dealings with AHS and my last encounter was no exception and is the reason for my complaint that I am making in this email.

On May 11th, 2021 I called AHS to put in a service request for a gas leak in my hot water heater. The technician came out and immediately informed my wife and I that he could not perform the work today because it was a two person job and he was by himself, and he would have to call AHS to see if the work would even be covered. I asked him if he could call AHS to see if the work was covered and he told me that he would have to wait until the evening to call because AHS would have him on hold for at least 45 minutes to an hour.

This in itself presents a problem for AHS customers as it prevents work from being done in a timely manner. The company operates in this manner by design so that customers are forced to go outside of their network of incompetent contractors so they the can skirt their contractual obligation and not have to pay.

I asked the contractor once he refused to cooperate and get us an answer from AHS if he could give me a call in the evening to let us know what AHS said about coverage.

He agreed to do so and to my amazement he actually followed through. He said that the work would be covered but unfortunately he would not be able to come back out until the following week to do the work. REALLY???? I am without hot water.

I can't shower. I can't wash dishes. I can't cook food.

Again this is systematic. This is the way that AHS operates so that they don't have to pay for legitimate repairs or replacements on big ticket items like hot water heaters and air conditioning systems.

They want the customer to get frustrated and go to another contractor so they can avoid holding up their end of the contract.

I, of course, could not wait a week to get this particular repair done so I hired my own contractor and guess what, AHS is refusing to pay. My hot water heaters ended up needing to be replaced and it is costing me $5000. After two days of trying to reach a supervisor on the phone I finally got a member of the escalation team today to tell me this. Anyway I just wanted to formally put this complaint in writing and send it up the chain.

I will be taking further action to hold AHS accountable to the contract I have with them. I have been a customer of theirs for several years and I expect some type of reimbursement.

Comments