San Francisco, California
6.1K views
Service Scheduling

If you need to cancel your contract with them, my suggestion is you contact your bank and cancel the debit card (or however method they are charging you) - that will get their attention (even though it's inconvenient for you).

I recently went through this same thing! On hold for anywhere from 30 minutes to over 1 hour without a live person ever picking up. NO MATTER what number you call you are on indefinite hold.

I ended doing 2 things:

#1 - Filling in their online form via: https://www.ahs.com/contact/ and there's a part at the bottom portion where they will "contact you" - biggest joke ever!!

#2 - Sending them a Certified Mail, Return Receipt letter cancelling the contract to their PO Box in Iowa.

We just got a letter in the mail - retroactively cancelling the contract on July 15 and telling us that there would was no refund due - even though we'd pay them for 30 days of service.

I agree with you 1,000% - their Customer Service is horrendous and all they care about is getting your money every month.

If you need a Home Warranty Company - go elsewhere!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Customer Care.

Comments

I’ve been a customer for 13 yrs and also bought multiple contracts through them for our home buyers. American home shield has horrible customer service!

They now have a call center in India to boot! On the phone for total of around 6-7hrs to get hot water heater repaired. It’s still not repaired! They were trying to replace my 80 gallon with a 50 Gallon and wanted me to pay $1250 for code upgrades.

My plumber said they were bogus upgrades and along with their plumber the 50 gallon unit wasn’t big enough. I settled for a cash offer of $400 for me to replace my own h2o heater if I wanted to replace with correct size my house requires to heat bathrooms properly. The cheapest 80 gallon h2o heater is $1000. Their contract states repair or replace with equivalent capacity appliances.

I assume 50 gallons equals 80 in their world. Very shady company I would advise to avoid this company at all cost.

Absolutely horrible company! Inept service people and the wait for repairs is way too long. had them for two months and I quit!

I have this same issue. I sold my old house 10 months ago and have made 6 attempts to close this account without any success.

I had to change my credit card to stop the billing. Every time I call I am told the same thing. "Your account is now canceled and will process a refund in 7-14 days." I have yet to get any kind of confirmation, refund, email, text message, phone call, or even a regular letter showing this issue has been resolved.

This morning I got a past due notice via email. Stop billing me and close my account.

AMEN TO THIS - WORST COMPANY EVER

I have had good service from AHS techs. I have had all of my houses, including rental properties, covered for years. The only problem I ever have is trying to cancel a contract when a property sells.Type your message here

These people have been in business for decades. You would think that the insurance division would be on them for their lack of service, etc. Type your message here

to Anonymous #1633880

They strong arm their contractors into doing their dirty work, and suffering the consequences, and any legal dirt sticks to the contractors, not AHS. AHS spells out what they “cover” and then they force the contractors to look for and apply the loopholes in the contract.

How do they force all these contractors to play this game, you might ask? AHS has had 40 years to work out the strategy, with no shortage of legal advice. They’ve perfected their plan of recruiting startup and small companies, promising lots of call volume, and once they begin, they shorten the leash and tighten the collar until the small business is funding the entire claim in fear of losing the contract. The only way the small business can survive once the parasitic home warranty starts sucking them dry is to do what AHS says, while their own retail customers disappear because the contractor is struggling to keep up with the high demands of home warranty work.

Meanwhile, AHS abides by all the terms and conditions of the contract. Home warranty Customers hear what they want to hear and believe the lies that they will be “covered” when they need it, and the contractors take the blame, in exchange for a bad reputation, ruined business, and continuous flow of new calls. Instead of money or payment, the contractor accepts the AHS service requests as sales or lead opportunities, but as you all know, you aren’t buying ANYTHING willingly from these vendors.

Nor is AHS paying them, so expensive repairs become gridlocked. Ponder this explanation with an open mind, and you will realize that home warranties are even more cunning and deceptive than you ever thought.

I agree this people are horrendous people if you call them people. They are not customer oriented in which they make their living. These people are from Tennessee a big disgrace for their own state if they have any shame left

They do suck...

Run away from this company. They appear to have developed their business model to the point that they sign blanket contracts with low-ball contractors in order to get the service call, and then let and/or instruct the contractor figure out how to pad the bill to get the client to pay for the work.

Additional "required" piping, refrigerant charges, "required" rewiring, "required structural modifications and similar issues that are added at inflated values are a favorite method. If that doesn't work, delay, delay, and deny until the owner has to get it fixed themselves and then deny any reimbursement above their "internal" rates. Our case: they were called because of a leaking water heater after having contracts for over 8 years. Over a week and a half of back and forth until we are told that there would be over $700 of "additional piping" that would be charged.

This was to add a new code required expansion tank ($45 at Lowes) , piping ($25 at Lowes), and restraint straps ($20 at Lowes) that would require at most an additional hour to install. The water heater retail cost was only $400.

So, we were going to be charged $700, which would cover the average local cost to replace and AHS was going to cover little or nothing. Told them we were cancelling the contract due to their default, but they keep trying to bill us anyway.

to Larry Harkz #1626413

This is exactly what is going on, Larry. What prompts people to buy home warranties?

It is a fascination of mine, honestly. Consumer behavior is most intriguing to me. Even with the slightest amount of research, consumers can find out just how lousy ALL home warranties are, yet they will purchase one anyway! Then, when they find out for themselves that quick and easy replacements aren’t forthcoming, they are so shocked and filing complaints with multiple agencies.

The laughable part to me is when they say they are going to switch home warranty companies!! Why are so many people compelled to believe lying shady insurance companies, yet so distrustful of hardworking, over-licensed, overtaxed, over-insured, plumbers etc? Why not just hire a plumber from the start? How did blue collar tradesmen who work harder than brain surgeons get such a bad rap?

Yes, you CAN get an expansion tank for $47 at Lowe’s. But why should the plumber go get it, install it and guarantee it for what he paid for it?

Are plumbers not allowed to make any profit at all???? What is wrong with people?!?

to Larry Harkz #1626416

Does the dentist charge you exactly what the crown cost him? NO.

Does the auto mechanic charge you exactly what the parts cost him? NO. Does the hairdresser sell the products for exactly what they paid for them? NO.

Does Lowe’s sell expansion tanks for exactly what they cost them? Wtf?

Thank you for listing the address in which to send me letter! So many sites help with the "how" but not the "where." I was prepared to send a copy of the letter to three different addresses just to make sure someone got it!

There's no one pick up phone on the retention dept # 800-858-1922. The best way to cancel their policy is cancel your debit or credit card. It is impossible to get thought them.

Called billing to cancel, they needed to transfer me to retention. Waited on hold for about 5 mins, person came back and said "sorry, retention is experiencing high call volume and it's already past closing time so they aren't taking more calls." She said she would submit a cancellation request, I asked for an email confirm but she couldn't because it was only a request.

She gave me the retention dept's number (1-800-858-1922).

I called this immediately after hanging up, was on hold for about 30 seconds, spoke to someone and within 10 minutes my contract was cancelled. Hope this helps.

to Lou #1653254

Thank you for this phone number. I was able to get through on the first try.

They do continue to jerk me around.

Can’t cancel for another 14-21 days. They mail a form out and have to wait to receive it...

Stay AWAY from this company. I waited 1 hour just to talk to a rep.

I wanted to cancel my policy, and she hung up on me. I called back again, and she said her system was down. She told me to call back again. I waited another hour, and I asked to speak to a manager, and she said no manager was available.

I gave up, and I ended up buying a new washer. My husband is still trying to get our money back. 550 dollars for a one year policy, and 75 dollars for a copay for a service call.

Repairman did nothing. I think both companies are in it together to scam the customers.

to Kim #1555543

They are pretty good at it.

Was just looking to see if others were having similar experience with AHS. I have had the worst customer experience with this company.

It is so maddening. Always on hold, act like they are inconvenienced to talk to you.

Do not use this company. I will be cancelling my contract asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to jeff #1555440

Good luck in trying to cancel. We could not do it. They will come up with all kind of excuses to try to avoid cancellation.