Denton, Texas

Tenant called me and reported they had smelled a gas leak in their home. They called gas company - who came out and turned the gas off.

This was on a weekend. I reported it to AHS but knowing they would not do anything over the weekend. Tenant without gas - no hot water - no cooking. Summer so AC not involved.

Monday - nothing. Tuesday - nothing. Wed. a plumber from quite a few miles and a different city shows up to assess the problem.

There is a gas leak. I was advised I owed them a service fee and that AHS needed to visit with me. Thursday I visit with AHS. AHS advises the plumbing company needs to pull a permit and such with the City in order to make the repair.

I agree and give them a credit card for the service call and permit fees. Late Thursday. Early Friday they call and say someone is on the way to the property and by the way I need to call Gas Company and have the gas turned on so when their plumber gets there they can find where the leak is and make the repair. I explain to the young lady from the plumbing company that such is not possible and not going to happen.

Once the gas is cut off by the gas company - a permit for the repair must be pulled from the city and the repair made by pressurizing the line, make the repair, have it inspected by the city and then the city has to call the gas company to authorize the gas to be turned back on. She adamantly states that I must call the gas company. Neither I nor Superman nor Snoopy nor the Red Baron would have any luck calling the gas company to come out and turn on the gas so the plumber can search for a leak! (Maybe he could find it using a match!).

I advised her to charge me for the service call, cancel the service request and I would call a local plumber who knew what they were doing to come out and do the pressure test and get it fixed, call the city, get it inspected and in turn city would call gas company to come out and turn the gas back on. Friday. Tenant without gas all week. Incredible.

Unbelievable. Absolutely ridiculous handling. Lucky I knew a local plumbing company who was able to get on it Friday when I called and explained what had happened. Otherwise guess I would be waiting for who knows how long for those idiots to figure it out.

EVERY plumber with a license knows how to handle a leak in a gas line - every plumber EXCEPT the one that AHS called to assigned this service request to that is.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Customer Care.

American Home Shield Cons: Handling of need for repair due to no gas.

• home warranty companies