63 views

This review is from work performed in 2015

We realized at closing that the seller had included a home warranty with American Home Shield. What a waste of money.

If I had known in advance I would have simply requested a $450 credit at closing. Nevertheless, we ended up with a home warranty that we tried to leverage on several occasions.

1) We had a plumbing issue and they did dispatch a plumber. After the deductible for the call was paid we saved $5.

2) Our hot water heater failed. It cost of $1200 to replace the failed water heater because the new hot water heater needed "code upgrades" which included some new valves and a plastic pad.

This was a complete ripoff and in hindsight I should have just requested a cash adjustment. Here's the deal, the contractors appear to collude with AHS to hide the true cost of work. You cannot get an itemized breakdown of charges since that information is only available to AHS. There is zero transparency.

The subs can weasel in anything they want, and when it comes to hot water heaters they apparently do just that. Every person I know who has used AHS for a hot water heater replacement is ultimately on the hook for about $1000. The real rub came months later when we realized the new hot water heater was not properly connected (hot and cold were reversed as part of an Apollo system) to the upstairs heater. The contractor came out to fix it and when I asked about all the code upgrades the new guys looked at me like I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about.

3) 24x7 Oncall support is a myth.

Our well pump failed on Christmas Eve. Now I don't want to ruin anyone's Christmas, but I expected somebody to pick up the phone and help me schedule work for the day after Christmas. Nobody picked up the phone, we left multiple messages, and didn't get a call back until late Christmas Eve night. Emergencies don't happen on a schedule and if you advertise 24x7 support that means 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year.

Ultimately they dispatched somebody the day after Christmas who could not help us.

We arranged for our own service at that point and had somebody out that afternoon who fixed us. AHS was completely useless.

I would not recommend American Home Shield to anyone, and in my opinion home warrantees are just a racket that realtors use to make a property feel more attractive to potential buyers.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Warranty.

American Home Shield Cons: Are a scam.

Comments