Verified Reviewer

1.3

First of all, I tried twice to get a hold of American Home Shield by using their "customercare@***.com" but the emails get sent back as undeliverable. I called AHS several times but I didnt realize it would be so difficult to get AHS to cover the repairs to my electric wall mounted heater.

Their reasoning behind the decision to deny the claim is that they consider it a fireplace and that fireplaces are not covered under my contract. This appears to me to be a misunderstanding of what the appliance actually is. These units have been referred to as faux, fake, or artificial fireplaces and since the word fireplace is in that description, AHS is simply denying the claim over that word even though it is not a fireplace.

Wikipedia defines a fireplace as "a structure made of brick, stone or metal designed to contain a fire". My appliance is essentially an electric heater that is mounted to the wall with flame like effects that are created with lights.

There is no flame whatsoever. There is an electric element that creates the heat and a fan draws air across it and blows it out. It is a unit that provides heated air without the use of a flame. This is clearly a wall unit, air which is a covered item in my contract but AHS is calling it a fireplace so they dont have to cover it!

I have tried explaining this all over the phone and have even escalated this to a supervisor but I get the feeling there's a bit of a language barrier as the calls are being fielded by a call center in the Philippines. I am also quite sure that after being put on hold for 24 minutes waiting for the supervisor, that I git the same person I'd already been speaking with.

Can't prove that but I found it strange listening to "Amy" and what seemed an intentional attempt to alter the sound of her voice. So pissed!

User's recommendation: Not sure what I can recommend. I don't know what logic AHS uses to approve and disapprove different claims and I don't know if my problem is the result of a language barrier.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

American Home Shield Pros: Buying the warranty was easy.

American Home Shield Cons: No repair, And will do anything to not help you, Overseas call takers difficult to talk with, Customer care email link does not work.

Comments