I have had 2 unbelievable experiences with American Home Shield. Both horrible. I will highlight them.
- I own a single family rental property.
- I pay $45 a month for “Protection”
- I have a $100 deductible
- Began leaking. Clearly why you have a home warranty
- AHS sent a company to replace.
- I was told that AHS only pays for the heater and replacement.
- The contractor said that there needed to be new fixtures put on and the total was $350 (plus the $100)
- My contract says
"5. WATER HEATERS
COVERED: All components and parts, including tankless water heaters and circulating pumps, except:
NOT COVERED: Auxiliary holding or storage tanks – Noise – Fuel storage tank and energy conservation unit."
- I had to get it replaced as it is my obligation to keep my tenants safe and the home in working order.
- I called the contractor and they said that was ridiculous and I should ask for a concession on the $350. The contractor even called AHS to tell them they should concede.
- No concession. 3 weeks later after many calls, "customer service" called and asked how the service was. I laid into them of course and they said if we conceded $250 and sent you a check, would you be satisfied. I said yes.
- Never saw the check, no notes in their system.
- Wasn't cooling so I order a service check up through AHS
- The contractor came over and said it just need 5 lbs of Refrigerant.
- I said great, how much?
- The going rate (I called around) is $80..... AHS pays only $10
- The service call was $75 so after my $100 deductible, AHS ends up paying $25.
- I paid $350 plus $100 plus $45 a month.
- People go to them to be protected for excessive charges.
- Their website says " It's a one-year service agreement that covers the repair or replacement of many major home system components and appliances that typically breakdown over time due to normal wear and tear."
- This is a classic bait and switch. The contract was so complicated that the regular homeowner doesn't know what they are getting into.
- I am not a Plumber, an HVAC tech, or an appliance expert. We rely on a warranty company to protect us. I DO NOT FEEL PROTECTED.
Over the past 6 years $3340 in monthly fees $200 in deductibles and $700 in additional "non covered" cost. I have used them twice.
I called them today and spent 30 minutes with them having them basically tell me that it is my fault for not reading the contract.
Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Warranty.
Reason of review: Pricing issue.
Monetary Loss: $500.
Preferred solution: Full refund.
American Home Shield Cons: Not adequate coverage.