Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1.8K views

American Home Sheild is a home warranty service that looks like (on paper) that never again will you pay more than $60.00 for home repair. We had a break in a pipe under the slab in December.They came in chopped a big hole in my hardwood floor and then the slab and supposedly fixed the problem,however,American Home Shield would only give us like $700.00 to have it fixed and the bill came to over $2000.00 dollars.

They then announced that we only get one plumbing problem per year. (Not from January to January,but from contract renewal to contract renewal.) We ended up having to make a claim on our homeowners who only paid a portion of the repair as our deductible is $2000.00. I woke to (what would be a very relaxing sound in the Carribean)of rushing HOT water under the slab in the same place they just fixed. Amaericn Home Sheild is not happy and is saying that they are not responsible and Fairway plumbing is not responsible.

If you are thinking of getting a home warranty,DON'T buy AHS.

Do some research and find something better. They are only charlatans that take your money automatically from your bank account and then find the worst contractors possible to do the work.

Product or Service Mentioned: Plumbing Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

I had American Home Shield Insurance also. My heating stopped working.

its a dual fuel system. They hire the cheapest HVAC guy in town, so the guy comes in and tries to fix it, but couldn't, he also tried to work the wiring in the controller that switches gas to electric heat pump. Since he could not fix it, he told me to first get this controller replaced otherwise cannot work on gas furnace.

I told them that the gas furnace was working until two days ago, why did you have to mess with the controller card.

Anyhow, now AHS came back to me saying that this service is not covered.

I am now sitting with a non-working gas furnace and a messed up controller card.

So read the fine print, AHS is just a bogus way of making money, they say on their website that they cover appliances, plumbing and so much more, but really they don't cover much. On top of that I had to pay $75 for the visit charge of the HVAC guy also.

Don't fall for this fake fall back plan.

As Keri stated above: the contract pays out $500 per term for slab leaks. Not plumbing problems, SLAB LEAKS, like the one you had, ya know? $500 - $60SF = $440 Cash Out

Kari

Intersting- we just had them out for a slab leak- we had our plumber out first earlier this week, who put hot line shut off valves on the pipe- then I saw that AHS will pay up to $500 for a slab leak- so I called them. Plumber came out- nice guy, hates AHS said yep slab leak- left, called his findingd into AHS, they called me to tell me what I already knew- but that it's an automatic cash-out when damages exceed what they cover.

And someone would call me Monday- He said "...$500 minus the cost we would have paid..." I am thinking that huh? You would have paid- your contract states the most is $500 so do I end up with $0 plus my $60? We'll see on Monday when they called. As of now, my homeowners insurance has sort of denied it since the water hasn't come through the flooring and caused damage...

Curious, who are you insured with- I see to hear that insurance companies pay this more often than not, and can't under stand why mine won't. So the claims manager is involved now- and we'll get a new adjuster, who is having another plumber and restoration company come out Monday.... Fingers crossed that someone with deep pockets can foot the 16,000 bill.... grrr.

on our 8 year old home. In the mean time, we are already part of the class action suit with AHS from several years ago, and I see they haven't really changed their practices...

American Home Shield Reviews