58 views
1.5

I requested HVAC service in early March, 2019 and the repair company responded quickly, I paid $75.00 for the service call.

The technician diagnosed the problem as a bad condenser and said that they could replace the part. and that our share, after the $1,700 discount from the repair facility to AHS, would be $1,130.00. (this includes $1000.00 for 9 pounds of refrigerant.

Another representative, (I suppose the manager or owner), of the service company called to try to convince me to replace the whole system and to send the paid invoice to AHS for to get whatever reimbursement that I qualified for under AHS's Enhanced Plan. I agree that the whole system should be replaced and contend that AHS should pay for a substantial amount of the replacement.

I found out from AHS that they would reimburse an insulting $313.00. We have been customers of AHS for many years and have used them for a few minor repair issues, (things that I could have repaired myself had I the time), paying $75.00 for each call.

Per our Enhanced Plan, "Available Upon Payment Of Additional Contract Fee" (Appliance Note: "AHS will pay up to three thousand dollars, ($3,000) per Covered Item malfunction for access, diagnosis, and repair/replacement of any covered Appliance." (section F-Paragraph 1. "Air Conditioning/Cooler", Note "Coverage available on heating and cooling systems not exceeding a five (5) ton capacity and designed for residential application, (Our system is 3.5 ton).

Product or Service Mentioned: American Home Shield Homeowners Policy Claim.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Preferred solution: Pay fairly to completly fix the problem, per Contract F.1.

American Home Shield Cons: No resolution to issue.

Location: 860 Ridge Lake Blvd, Memphis, TN 38120

Comments

As you said, “We have been customers of AHS for many years and have used them for a few minor repair issues, (things that I could have repaired myself had I the time), paying $75.00 for each call.” This is what they HOPE will happen!!!! You end up giving them thousands of dollars over the years, and they give you a few hundred.

It isn’t worth the hassle to use a home warranty!!!! The recommendation of their service provider is sound: definitely do not try to replace the faulty components in your old system. Do NOT spend $1000 on freon! Have the entire system replaced, the refrigerant lines flushed, and get estimates from smaller licensed companies to replace with new equipment.

Cancel AHS and find your own small local businesses that are TRADE licensed SPECIFICALLY in their trade, not “general contractors” or handymen, or a guy who works for a guy who owns a business.

The job won’t be licensed, permitted, inspected or most importantly “insured” for a proper installation. As you’ve found, a home warranty is only good for the home warranty company!

American Home Shield Reviews