American Home Shield Reviews

Show reviews that mention
service ahs customer customer service home repair phone problem water heater contract
Filter review
Have been with AHS since 2005 and never abused service. My A/C went out last year and a $500.00 part was not covered. Did not have money at the time and requested time to pay for it. AHS said ok for when I was ready. Stayed all summer w/out A/C. Have money now, AHS...

If you are disgusted with AHS's business tactics, customer relations AND DENIAL OF TRUE, VALID CLAIMS (ie: Breach of Contract).... Here's some info: If you're seeking CEO David Crawford's voicemail - here's how.

Dial 1-86*-***-**** as stated above. When the phone system says "Thank you for calling American Home Shield.... please enter your Representative's Extension" - DO THE FOLLOWING: Enter Ext. # 1000 The Greeting will then say: "Welcome to Avia Messaging, please enter the mailbox # of the person you are calling....

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE MAILBOX NUMBER, PRESS STAR (*) TO SPELL THE NAME".... After that sentence, IMMEDIATELY PRESS STAR (*) - then spell David Crawford's LAST NAME: just input, "CRAW".... you will then be taken to: DAVE CRAWFORD'S VOICEMAIL.... Kindly leave your message.

If you want to call bluff - redial the 1-866 number above, go to Ext. 1000 and then input Judy's Extension "2100" (Judy Peedic - The Executive Assistant to David Crawford) - it will take you to her voicemail (or she will pick up) - so the Avia Messaging System is that of AHS... Also, another Executive Assistant to David Crawford is a person by the name of "Matthew Boyd" his extension is 2103 at the same 1-866 number listed above (again, his extension also works in the Avia Messaging System @ AHS).

I hope American Home Shield makes right on alot of the breach of contract issues... :)PASS THE INFO ON TO ANY SITE YOU SEE THAT CONTAINS AHS COMPLAINTS!!!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Service
American Home Shield Claim

Lied about repairing AC

American Home Shield LIES. My AC compressor blew up on Sunday. The unit is 16 years old - my husband is disabled and undergoing radiation now - we live in Florida and it's hot and humid. They sent a man on Mon. - he had 48 hours to put in just a new motor - not a whole new compressor. We were dying of the heat - knew we needed a whole new complete unit - they refused. We had the serviceman come back and we had to pay the entire amount($2600.00) - but he had us cool on Tuesday. AHS is terrible - cancel them if you can

I have had AHS for about 3 to 4 years. They were good until about April of this year.

I pay $45 a month. They have fixed my washing machine once and my dryer a couple of times. No major parts broken. When my refrigerator broke, they order the part twice and it was the wrong part so after about 4 weeks they gave me a brand new refrigerator.

so i had no complaints. when my AC broke in April of 2009 i called them and they sent out Harkins Air & Refrigeration. they went into the attic and said he would have to go and take information back the office. I asked him to check the outside unit because the neighbor had notice that the fan wasn't blowing; something like that.

[The neighbor fixes Air conditioners and knew their was a problem. He checked the outside unit and it needed a motor. They called me back and said that because the ducts in the attic was not tied up correctly they could not fix anything until the problem in the attic was corrected. I ask them to fix the outside unit and i would get someone to fix the ducts in attic that has been like that for 15 years.

they called back and said they couldn't fix the outside unit because of the problem in the attic. I called Harkins to get an estimate for the duct reparis and they never called me back. i was without air for 2 days going back and forth with them. The next morning i called Calvin's maintenace they came out at 8:30 a.m.

put a new motor in and completed the job by 10:30 am. The motor was under warranty so i had to pay $200 for labor. I wasn't going to complaint since we got a new refrigerator. But My In-Laws, both in their 80's; temp 90 to 100 degrees; just got the warranty about 6 months ago; AC went out Monday 7/12/2010 and on 7/14/2010 she had to call them to see what they was going do and they told her because it hadn't been cleaned in several years was the reason it had broken.

She had to call Baton Rouge AC and they came out that Thursday with the part and fix the AC by 1:00 p.m. It was also under warranty. we both had to pay our $60 withstand these high temps and way 3 days before getting AC fixed.

To me a Scam is going on and Harkins AC in Baton Rouge is part of the scam. BEWARE!

American Homeshield sent a plumber out several times to fix a leak on my hot water pipe under the house. The plumber used “duck tape” to repair the pipe.

Needless to say, the duck tape didn’t fix the leak. However, Mostly all of our walls cracked and our floors buckled causing costly damages to our home. Our children were sick from mold and my family had to go without hot water in very cold weather. We are suing American Homeshield and the plumber for the damages to our home, health, and living conditions.

While American Homeshield tries their best to get out of being responsible for the damages, they also sent us a letter saying that they are not renewing our contract. Oouuuch! Talk about insult to injury. If you are or used to be a customer or contractor I will be very grateful if I can get a statement from you sent to my email bpsashington@***.net.

Or call me (251)232-****. I am especially interested in hearing from any contactors and former American Homeshield employees that can vouch for American Homeshield’s encouragement to make cheap repairs that only puts a temporary band-aid on the problem and their deceptiveness with denying claims that should be covered. Customers that share horror stories like mine and ended up with damage to their homes, I’d love to hear from you as well.

I am not looking for anyone to testify in court, only a true statement. I will also be willing to give my statement to anyone who needs it.

WOW they did the same they ripped out half of my air condinter and then said. Opps cant fix it till you pay us 500.

for part. single parent 3 kids!And the kicker to the story is, it was working but barely cooling! so instead of dealing with barley cooling I went to no air at all in the end of July in florida.

And this is just one story that has to do with the AC! :cry

ID
#120185 Review #120185 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Tampa, Florida
American Home Shield is a scam. Do not purchase as it is a rip-off. Of two repair requests, they found ways to deny coverage that other home warranty companies cover. If you read the fine lines in contract - NOTHING is covered. They will also find ways to take several...

AHS is a fraudulent company and they will ripp you off if you think they will help you.

I had to pay to get my a/c fixed $2700 simply because they refused to do it because of the access to the attic. So, I also paid them for over 3 years, monthly payments, just to get robbed from them.

So they just decided to cash me out for $600 when the complete job coswt was $2700......So if you are their customer, believe me! You will get ripped off when the time to pay for costly repairs comes...get out and just save your money and the trouble if you are with AHS.

ID
#119635 Review #119635 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Killeen, Texas
Loss

American home shield pr plumming

4/16/08 I report a non working hot water recirculating pump.ASH subcontracts pr plumming to send a plummer and inspect the pump.. after his inspection he calls ASH and reports that the punp has been impacted and the case is cracked .. wich resulted is the failier of the pump. Keep in mind the plummer did not even open the pump to check and see if it is acually working.. and because of his so called educated and certified guess ASH decided to deny the claim. and on top of that wants me to pay the unprofessional plummer for his services... Beware.. having AHS does not gurantee that they will take care of any failing parts instead they will find any reason to deny a claim... After several unsuccessful conversations with several ASH rep's including supervisors.. i was no where.. still no hot water through out the house .. I went to the local plumming distributor and bought a new pump for 275.00 plus 45.00 in new fittings.. and about a couple of hours of my time.. walla its done .. 2 weeks later i get a bill from ASH to pay for that plummers inacurrate findings about my old pump... so naturally i was pissed... so here is what i did. Since i installed the new pump i was able to figure out how this little thing works... i reached for my old pump and cleaned all the calcium deposts inside and gess what it works.. no problem... now i got grounds to call AHS back and tell them what an *** the plummer was... but still they insisted I pay for the plummers services... what a business ... !!!!!

Here is some tips: call back and ask to be connected to your local AHS rep. They can help you out, offer personal service and get/clarify questions and answers! If cust service cant, call a realty comp and ask them who the rep is.

And.... you can request a 2nd opinion!

Also, go online and read the contract! Like all other warranties, see what is and isnt covered. I have WONDERFUL experiences with AHS and WOULD NOT use anything else!

ID
#119538 Review #119538 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Fresno, California

If It Still Works At All, Don't Fix It At All

That's the motto of American Home Shield (AHS). If you have a covered unit that is showing definite signs that it is just about to fail but it is still working when an AHS "service" representative stops by,you can forget having it fixed even if it is a simple and cheap repair. You have to wait until it's undeniably dead and buried and then you will likely have to wait several more days for another "service" representative to go by your house. Then you might have to wait 2 weeks for a part to come in and be installed. Or worse yet, the "service" representative will tell you the item failed due to some trumped up "lack of proper maintenance" issue and thus you are not covered. Our washer now makes a loud rattling noise when filling. A 3 year old could tell there's a problem. An AHS "service" representative came by and said the noise is because our house water pressure is low. I told him there has been zippo change in the water pressure but the noise just started and requested that he explain this mystery. I even offered to check the water pressure (I have a gauge) to see if it was in the normal range. He was impressed with my resourcefulness, but still refused to repair the washer. I'm 90% sure it is the water control valve which is relatively cheap and is not a big job to replace. But nooooooo. I'll have to wait until there's absolutely no water at all going into the washer and then if I'm lucky I get to pay another $55 "service" charge to get the part replaced. There is some value in an AHS contract but a hefty dose of aggravation will be included.

As a former contractor with AHS, I will tell you the pressure is on to do the repairs as cheap as possible. After working with them for 4 years, I finally drew the line and refuses to do below standard work. I was told by AHS I would not be used as their contractor any longer.

My advice to the consumer is to put your AHS policy money in the bank and pay a GOOD repair person when needed. You will pay less and get better service.

Good Luck

Michael

Here are some tips: call back and ask to be connected to your local AHS rep. They can help you out, offer personal service and get/clarify questions and answers! If cust service cant, call a realty comp and ask them who the rep is.

AND... ask for a 2nd OPINION!

AND...... ask questions?!?!? Be there and be involved (if you can)

This company is absolutely ridiculous. They are another one of those companies that will lure you in with promises and then find every loophole they can to avoid servicing you once you have paid your dues. I paid my first year of owning this house and called them to fix my jacuzzi. They came up with some ridiculous excuse and to this day it is still broken. Four hundred dollars unused and down the drain. I still decided to pay for them again the second year of owning the house and I called them to fix my washing machine. The concluded that something must have come off my clothing....like a piece of string...and wrapped itself around the pump or caused a malfunction in the pump. They sat there and told me in my face that if the pump was broken they would fix or replace it. But since it will still work ( all it needs is repair) they will not touch it.

They told me i would have to pay the contractor myself to repair it....costing hundreds of dollars.

They make their money by refusing to pay contractors for service. They are criminals.

A complete waste of 800$ in the last two years. They will find any excuse not to service you once they suck you in. STAY AWAY~~!!!!!!

Irvine, California

AHS is ripping off consumers

We call AHS March 6, 2008 for an emergency repair in our electrical panel breakers. We were without running water and air conditioning. The service call never came that day and they gave us a schedule 4 days later. We told we can't wait because we have a 11 years old kid who can be 3 days without water ( we have a water pump and no connected co city water). They advice us to find any electrical handyman in the area and they will pay that bill. We did it in March 7 ( one day after calling AHS) and when calling canceling the schedule and asking for instructions for the reimbursement they told me we need to ask first for authorization first and never pay that $140 no matter we gave information and we have the bill to probe it. 4 days after that , they sent anyway one electrician in March 11, and we told that person we already canceled that job and he leave, noting that he didn't do any repairs because all was fixed..And now on top of not paying us the $140 for the emergency repair they are charging us also $55 extras for that handyman visit who came here 3 days after we cancel the job and he didn't do nothing because all was already fixed. This is abusive and is a real scam. Now we need a service from AHS again and we need to pay that $55 fee in order to get a service and the contract reinstated. We are asking to clarify this matter because we can't pay for a cancelled job that never was done and we call 4 days before o cancel. Thank You/ Mil Gracias Beatriz Gonzalez 8067 SW 103rd Street Rd Ocala, Fla 34481 Cell 305-975-****

AHS took our money and gave us nothing but grief. Dump them and fix it yourself.

you'll be better off. I have been turned down twice for service. They would not fix my refrigerator a couple of years ago and today I was turned away for service for my central air conditioning 2010.

I will never use them again. Believe me when I say they are a rip off.

AHS has a class action suit pending. Will be heard in San Diego in April.

I hope this company goes under....they take our money and give us nothing but grief.

Dump them and fix it yourself. you'll be better off

AND... ask for a 2nd OPINION!

Here is a tip: call back and ask to be connected to your local AHS rep. They can help you out, offer personal service and get/clarify questions and answers!

View more comments (5)
Leesburg, Florida

American Home Shield is a Scam

AHS is a scam. They make their money by being sure to avoid your expenses. (e.g. an insurance company). To work with a company that lacks accountability and is so comfortable with false advertising of poor services astounds me. I was cordially assured that their company not only was not responsible for the damage that their contractor caused to my home. Not only were they not responsible, but did not even want to see the images of the damage he caused. They informed me that he did not follow "procedures' on their end by "calling in a diagnosis" befor repairs, prior to repairing. But again, that is of no concern of theirs. They were not interested that now I face 1000's of $'s of repair because the damages their contractor caused, "work" ordered by them, as they would not allow me to use my known, trusted and quality plumber.Their guarantee is false. Beyond that, their concern for "the customer's satisfaction" and mission of "protecting their home" is smoke and mirrors. They are readily content with faulty and destructive contractors and peacefully lack accountability for the services they provide. DON'T BE FOOLED.

I agree. LOUSY SCAM COMPANY.

WRITE TO THE CEO AND GO TO CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND FILE A COMPLAINT. :cry :cry :( :x :upset :upset

American Home Shield, (a/k/a A.H.S.) is one giant corporate greedy scam. The root-cause of their problems is that they are owned by ServiceMaster.

This is the same company that also owns TruGreen LawnCare and Terminix Pest Control. All of these companys have a horrible history of scamming people.

For details see WWW.SCAMFOUND.COM

Here's some info:

If you're seeking CEO David Crawford's voicemail - here's how.

DO THE FOLLOWING:

Enter Ext. # 1000

The Greeting will then say: "Welcome to Avia Messaging, please enter the mailbox # of the person you are calling.... IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE MAILBOX NUMBER, PRESS STAR (*) TO SPELL THE NAME"....

just input, "CRAW".... you will then be taken to: DAVE CRAWFORD'S VOICEMAIL....

Kindly leave your message.

PASS THE INFO ON TO ANY SITE YOU SEE THAT CONTAINS AHS COMPLAINTS!!!

@PissedConsumer178156

The above info is not valid anymore, as David Crawford is no longer the Pres of A.H.S. The best recourse is to contact AHS parent company via www.servicemaster.com

View more comments (4)
Raleigh, North Carolina

American Home Shield left me without heat for THREE Weeks

I called American Home Shield in the dead of winter with a furance the would not run. I called the company with all of the information on the furance and even told them what part was broken. They had to send a man out to look at the furance who did not show on time and did not show at all. The next person did show up but three days only later only to tell me that yes the part I told them was broken and he did not have it to fix it. They ordered the part and he did not come back until I had to call them on why they did not show. I bought heaters to keep us warm. I have more but the long and short is that it took over 3 weeks to get the part replaced and this still did not fix everthing which took two more calls.

Baltimore, Maryland

Disqualified plumbing due to 'roots' that were never pulled back.

AHS disqualified our plumbing system due to 'roots' pulled back from the sewer. I was there and asked the guys if it was roots, they said 'no'. Bigger issue was that after complaining to AHS and them guaranteeing me a call back, I never received a call. Great customer service. Just remember, you better be there and get in writing whatever the companies do for you and know the disqualifiers. Its easy for a service guy to write 'roots', but have no roots on the line. Also, call every single day to AHS until they resolve your issue as they will not call you back otherwise.

View more comments (1)
Roswell, New Mexico

American Home Shield Not Worth It

Purchased new home in October. Paid AHS $480+ for home warranty. Had/have problem with the heat pump/plumbing. Called them. Nothing. Called again and they sent this...cheapest folks to look at the problem. The folks came out, gave story and left...nothing to do with the actual proble, Called AHS again, the folks returned and actually looked at heat pump. Came up with "dirty" coil. Needs cleaning....$900. AHS called and said it wasn't covered. Let's see...$300,000.00 for house and full coverage warranty. Waste of $980 for AHS who don't honor "full coverage".
Washington, District Of Columbia

American home schield

American Home Schield is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The reason you purchase this is if something in your home breaks however if this happens they will not fix it because they say it is due to deferred maintenacne even though you just bought the home. My water heater broke and they assigned Yankee plumbing in Los Angeles to install a new one but they did not replace the pan below the waterheater which is suppose to be 2 inches around to perform properly. In the end no one takes responsibility or even admits error. I do not suggest this insurance company they are more trouble and in the end you still pay.
Los Angeles, California

American Home Shield

I signed up with American Home Shield Ins when I bought my house. So far every time I have needed them , there is always an excuse why they don't have to cover the problem. The people they send out just charge for the visit and say that the problem is not something they do or that the appliance problem is not covered. The they proceed to offer they own services which cost alot more than regular service companies, I soon discovered. One plumber even told me not to get a hot water tank from lowes or home depot because they were all being investigated by the government and only his was the best, at $600.00 When I called the company to complain they said they did not have a complaint department throught the phone, I had to write a letter and mail to a p.o box.# Doubt any thing would come of that. Any way I wish I looked on line before I signed up for . I will not call them again that is for sure

AHS is useless insurance, Never delivers repairs in short time. We have been waiting for broken water heater to be fully repaired ever since OCT 18/ 2018 to this day=1/31/2019.

@PissedConsumer1639122

An electric 50 gallon water heater is $400. Why on earth would you deal with a broken water heater for more than 3 months? That’s plumb stupid

First off "Me" it is obvious your a child, have you checked your diaper today?

AHS is a joke. Contact your State's Department of Insurance and the Attorney General.

If your a senior get a hold of the Grey Panthers, they have a web site.

There are class action suits against AHS maybe you can recoup some of your loss. Sorry to both of you,

This is for SAME HERE.....it's obvious you can't write, are you sure you read your entire contract?

I cancelled them after they wouldnt pay for a covered repair.The compnay they sent too repair my furnace were slime.

View more comments (5)
Washington, District Of Columbia

American Home Shield

On Jan 2, 2008 we contacted American Home Shield Warranty Company (AHS) because every time we used our oven, our carbon monoxide (CO) detector would go off. After a month or so of this and contacting our alarm company who monitors it, we decided to call AHS to have someone out to look at the range (KitchAid freestanding gas range). I was told a representative from Sears would call and set up an appointment. No one called. On Jan 7th, I called back. I spoke again with Sears and they said a contractor would come out the following day. On Jan 8th I waited during the prearranged time (12-5pm) and no one showed. I called AHS back. They told me the appointment was actually for the following day. I was furious, but ok. On Jan 9th, I waited again. The repairman for A&E (a subcontractor of Sears) called me and explained he did not have the proper equipment to deal with CO and told me to call the gas company. I called our gas company and was advised to evacuate the house and call 911. I explained the detector only went off when the oven was one and the representative informed me she had to advise me to take these steps. Since the oven was off and no alarm going off, I took my dog outside but did not call 911. We waited for the gas company service tech. He arrived, tested the oven, and it was indeed putting out over the safe amount of CO. He turned off the gas line to the oven in order to make sure it was safe. I called the A&E repairman back. He was not able to come out and advised me to call the main office. I did and was told to call the following morning. I called A&E on Jan. 10th to reschedule. They informed me they did not service the AHS contract. I called AHS. From then on, I got more run around. As of Jan 12th, we still were without our range. I lost count of how many people we talked to explaining over and over it was not a gas leak, but a carbon monoxide leak. We wrote a complaint letter on their website which did result in a contractor coming out on the 11th,but was also not equipped to deal with CO. AHS said they classified this an emergency call, but showed no steps in treating it as such. Each time we would talk to a repairman who was set to come out we would ask if they were able to deal with CO. None were and had called us back because they were told it was a gas leak. We even called a few names out of the Yellow Pages to no avail. No one was willing or able to deal with CO. Finally, on Jan 13th we’d had enough. We searched the web and found the president’s name (Dave Crawford), the Senior VP of Legal’s name on the Memphis Better Business Bureau’s website. We called their main number and got the option for their “dial by name directory”. So, we left messages. Low and behold we got calls the next day. Unfortunately, they still were not helpful. When speaking with Jules from the President’s Line, she was one of the worst. We had been without a stove for 12 days now. She offered $60 to buy and electric skillet! When I pressed her as to what a reasonable amount of time to find a qualified repairman was, her attitude was as long as it takes. I was told I could do whatever I wanted outside the parameters of the contract, but for AHS to pay for it they had to find a qualified repairman. She even told me that just because the gas company confirmed the leak didn’t mean there was a problem! To date (Jan 14th) we are still waiting! For 12 days we have been without a range. We were told to evacuate by the gas company until they can make the situation safe. We have been forced to eat out each night. We had food go wasted in the refrigerator because we had no means to cook it. We’ve lost untold amounts of time on the phone and waiting on repairman who are not able to deal with the problem, and oh yeah, CO can lead to death. Just a minor aside with that! I will NEVER use, recommend, or deal with AHS again!

Well Donna, let me tell you, You are not going to find a better Insurance company than AHS... AHS is one of the best Insurace Companies around.

Dont even think about messing around with any other.

Take my advice.. If not you will regret it.

Great idea to call Memphis. I just left Mr.

Crawford a message. We have been waiting for three weeks to get our refrigerator fixed.

#1941

I am a Real Estate Agent.

Your story has just convinced to stop selling the AHS Warranty and swithc to a different company.

I found this site while looking up other complaints abotu AHS after my client had a problem witha water heater.

Thanks.

Alexandria, Virginia

American Home Shield

American Home Shield promises to cover your plumbing with their home insurance, but be aware! We had a leak in our plumbing system, but because they could not find a plumber with the correct certifications in their network, they simply wrote it off as an access issue. They kept sending plumbers until they find one to *** the problem as non pluming related. The first 2 plumbers sent to our house indicate that it is indeed a plumbing issue and they simply dicarded their assessment until they get one they want (and not covered). This company is a complete fraud!
Los Angeles, California
WRITTEN ON 12/23/07 at 9:21am. I have always been one to recommend American Home Shield ("AHS") until now. As a Realtor, I have recommended it countless times to buyers and sellers. As a Paralegal, I have told many of my coworkers the importance of home...

My A/C was not working and AHS sent out a tech w/ARS. He condemned the unit and said it was not repairable.

He could not find any markings but it is very old. He took pictures of the outside unit and noted on his paperwork that the coil showed heavy damage and oxidation due to improper maintanence. Also stated compressor has mechanical damage due to high pressure and improperly maintained. I called AHS and claim denied due to intenional damage to fins, inplied someone took a hammer to it.

I denied that happened and requested a second opinion at another expense of $60 to me. Second tech with All Star A/C found a small hole in the copper tubing coming out of the compressor. A loose wire had the insulation melted and arced to puncture *** and lose all the freon. Again claim DENIED.

This time the Script reading Clerk said the wire was not properly secured and was not normal to be eligible for their s coverage. I was so p---ed yesterday but this company does not deserve my patronage and hopefully can cancel the remaining 10 mos. of my policy. Wish I had read these postings sooner.

AMERICAN HOME SHIELD is a scam with all the pretty literature and no follow-thru. Buyer Beware.

San Jose, California