American Home Shield Reviews

Show reviews that mention
service ahs customer customer service home repair phone problem water heater contract
Filter review

American home schield

American Home Schield is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The reason you purchase this is if something in your home breaks however if this happens they will not fix it because they say it is due to deferred maintenacne even though you just bought the home. My water heater broke and they assigned Yankee plumbing in Los Angeles to install a new one but they did not replace the pan below the waterheater which is suppose to be 2 inches around to perform properly. In the end no one takes responsibility or even admits error. I do not suggest this insurance company they are more trouble and in the end you still pay.
Los Angeles, California

American Home Shield

I signed up with American Home Shield Ins when I bought my house. So far every time I have needed them , there is always an excuse why they don't have to cover the problem. The people they send out just charge for the visit and say that the problem is not something they do or that the appliance problem is not covered. The they proceed to offer they own services which cost alot more than regular service companies, I soon discovered. One plumber even told me not to get a hot water tank from lowes or home depot because they were all being investigated by the government and only his was the best, at $600.00 When I called the company to complain they said they did not have a complaint department throught the phone, I had to write a letter and mail to a p.o box.# Doubt any thing would come of that. Any way I wish I looked on line before I signed up for . I will not call them again that is for sure

AHS is useless insurance, Never delivers repairs in short time. We have been waiting for broken water heater to be fully repaired ever since OCT 18/ 2018 to this day=1/31/2019.

@PissedConsumer1639122

An electric 50 gallon water heater is $400. Why on earth would you deal with a broken water heater for more than 3 months? That’s plumb stupid

American Homeshield sent a plumber out several times to fix a leak on my hot water pipe under the house. The plumber used “duck tape” to repair the pipe.

Needless to say, the duck tape didn’t fix the leak. However, Mostly all of our walls cracked and our floors buckled causing costly damages to our home. Our children were sick from mold and my family had to go without hot water in very cold weather. We are suing American Homeshield and the plumber for the damages to our home, health, and living conditions.

While American Homeshield tries their best to get out of being responsible for the damages, they also sent us a letter saying that they are not renewing our contract. Oouuuch! Talk about insult to injury. If you are or used to be a customer or contractor I will be very grateful if I can get a statement from you sent to my email bpsashington@***.net.

Or call me (251)232-****. I am especially interested in hearing from any contactors and former American Homeshield employees that can vouch for American Homeshield’s encouragement to make cheap repairs that only puts a temporary band-aid on the problem and their deceptiveness with denying claims that should be covered. Customers that share horror stories like mine and ended up with damage to their homes, I’d love to hear from you as well.

I am not looking for anyone to testify in court, only a true statement. I will also be willing to give my statement to anyone who needs it.

First off "Me" it is obvious your a child, have you checked your diaper today?

AHS is a joke. Contact your State's Department of Insurance and the Attorney General.

If your a senior get a hold of the Grey Panthers, they have a web site.

There are class action suits against AHS maybe you can recoup some of your loss. Sorry to both of you,

This is for SAME HERE.....it's obvious you can't write, are you sure you read your entire contract?

I cancelled them after they wouldnt pay for a covered repair.The compnay they sent too repair my furnace were slime.

View more comments (5)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Loss

American Home Shield

On Jan 2, 2008 we contacted American Home Shield Warranty Company (AHS) because every time we used our oven, our carbon monoxide (CO) detector would go off. After a month or so of this and contacting our alarm company who monitors it, we decided to call AHS to have someone out to look at the range (KitchAid freestanding gas range). I was told a representative from Sears would call and set up an appointment. No one called. On Jan 7th, I called back. I spoke again with Sears and they said a contractor would come out the following day. On Jan 8th I waited during the prearranged time (12-5pm) and no one showed. I called AHS back. They told me the appointment was actually for the following day. I was furious, but ok. On Jan 9th, I waited again. The repairman for A&E (a subcontractor of Sears) called me and explained he did not have the proper equipment to deal with CO and told me to call the gas company. I called our gas company and was advised to evacuate the house and call 911. I explained the detector only went off when the oven was one and the representative informed me she had to advise me to take these steps. Since the oven was off and no alarm going off, I took my dog outside but did not call 911. We waited for the gas company service tech. He arrived, tested the oven, and it was indeed putting out over the safe amount of CO. He turned off the gas line to the oven in order to make sure it was safe. I called the A&E repairman back. He was not able to come out and advised me to call the main office. I did and was told to call the following morning. I called A&E on Jan. 10th to reschedule. They informed me they did not service the AHS contract. I called AHS. From then on, I got more run around. As of Jan 12th, we still were without our range. I lost count of how many people we talked to explaining over and over it was not a gas leak, but a carbon monoxide leak. We wrote a complaint letter on their website which did result in a contractor coming out on the 11th,but was also not equipped to deal with CO. AHS said they classified this an emergency call, but showed no steps in treating it as such. Each time we would talk to a repairman who was set to come out we would ask if they were able to deal with CO. None were and had called us back because they were told it was a gas leak. We even called a few names out of the Yellow Pages to no avail. No one was willing or able to deal with CO. Finally, on Jan 13th we’d had enough. We searched the web and found the president’s name (Dave Crawford), the Senior VP of Legal’s name on the Memphis Better Business Bureau’s website. We called their main number and got the option for their “dial by name directory”. So, we left messages. Low and behold we got calls the next day. Unfortunately, they still were not helpful. When speaking with Jules from the President’s Line, she was one of the worst. We had been without a stove for 12 days now. She offered $60 to buy and electric skillet! When I pressed her as to what a reasonable amount of time to find a qualified repairman was, her attitude was as long as it takes. I was told I could do whatever I wanted outside the parameters of the contract, but for AHS to pay for it they had to find a qualified repairman. She even told me that just because the gas company confirmed the leak didn’t mean there was a problem! To date (Jan 14th) we are still waiting! For 12 days we have been without a range. We were told to evacuate by the gas company until they can make the situation safe. We have been forced to eat out each night. We had food go wasted in the refrigerator because we had no means to cook it. We’ve lost untold amounts of time on the phone and waiting on repairman who are not able to deal with the problem, and oh yeah, CO can lead to death. Just a minor aside with that! I will NEVER use, recommend, or deal with AHS again!

Well Donna, let me tell you, You are not going to find a better Insurance company than AHS... AHS is one of the best Insurace Companies around.

Dont even think about messing around with any other.

Take my advice.. If not you will regret it.

Great idea to call Memphis. I just left Mr.

Crawford a message. We have been waiting for three weeks to get our refrigerator fixed.

#1941

I am a Real Estate Agent.

Your story has just convinced to stop selling the AHS Warranty and swithc to a different company.

I found this site while looking up other complaints abotu AHS after my client had a problem witha water heater.

Thanks.

View more comments (2)
Alexandria, Virginia

American Home Shield

American Home Shield promises to cover your plumbing with their home insurance, but be aware! We had a leak in our plumbing system, but because they could not find a plumber with the correct certifications in their network, they simply wrote it off as an access issue. They kept sending plumbers until they find one to *** the problem as non pluming related. The first 2 plumbers sent to our house indicate that it is indeed a plumbing issue and they simply dicarded their assessment until they get one they want (and not covered). This company is a complete fraud!
Los Angeles, California
WRITTEN ON 12/23/07 at 9:21am. I have always been one to recommend American Home Shield ("AHS") until now. As a Realtor, I have recommended it countless times to buyers and sellers. As a Paralegal, I have told many of my coworkers the importance of home...

My A/C was not working and AHS sent out a tech w/ARS. He condemned the unit and said it was not repairable.

He could not find any markings but it is very old. He took pictures of the outside unit and noted on his paperwork that the coil showed heavy damage and oxidation due to improper maintanence. Also stated compressor has mechanical damage due to high pressure and improperly maintained. I called AHS and claim denied due to intenional damage to fins, inplied someone took a hammer to it.

I denied that happened and requested a second opinion at another expense of $60 to me. Second tech with All Star A/C found a small hole in the copper tubing coming out of the compressor. A loose wire had the insulation melted and arced to puncture *** and lose all the freon. Again claim DENIED.

This time the Script reading Clerk said the wire was not properly secured and was not normal to be eligible for their s coverage. I was so p---ed yesterday but this company does not deserve my patronage and hopefully can cancel the remaining 10 mos. of my policy. Wish I had read these postings sooner.

AMERICAN HOME SHIELD is a scam with all the pretty literature and no follow-thru. Buyer Beware.

View more comments
San Jose, California

American Home Shield warranty issues

In April of 2007 my service when out in over half of my house due a damaged 240 volt cable and meter base socket located on the outside of my house. On my initial call to AHS they dispatched a company that specializes in everything but is not a master at anything. This company came to look at my problem and decided the prolem was with my local electric company. The local electric company came out the same day and discovered the problem needed to be taken care of by an electrician. The inexperienced company came back out a day later and I had to show them what the problem was according to PP&L. This company wrote up and estimate to replace one part of the problem but of course they never let me know because that's confidiential information that can only be shared with AHS. The handyman company was not sure about completing the work and before they could do anything, I needed to have the power turned off from the street by PP&L which is also proof that this was not a master electrician because I found out much later that a master electrician has the ability to cut the power and restore it themselves. Well after a week with hardly any power and not hearing anything from the repair company. I called to inquire as to whether they had scheduled the disconnect with PP&L only to be put on hold while the *** receptionist called to schedule the appt. with me on the phone which took her about 25 minutes to do so. Well I had already spoken to PP&L and was informed the no one had called to schedule a disconnect so I got the work order and made the appt. myself. I relayed this info to the receptionist once she came back but I also informed them that they could not replace just the socket in the meterbase because PP&L said they will not restore power until the cable has been replaced also. The repair to replace the socket was $225 to replace the cable and the socket was $700. AHS being the crooks that they are told me that they will only replace what was written up by the repairman and I would have to pay the difference. After battling with them and still going without power for 3 weeks, AHS told me that I needed to have a housing inspector check the problem and give a report on what needed to be replaced. Basically the inspector needed to tell the electrician how to do his job. I had an inspector check the problem and was told that I needed to have the cable and socket in the meterbase replaced and it cost me $50 for this report. I faxed this report to AHS and after reviewed they stated that they are still not going to pay for anything that was not written up on the initial estimate. So they had me pay for an inspection for nothing (so they thought) I told AHS that I was not satisfied with the company they sent and that I did not want them doing any repairs to my house because I didnt' feel that they were competent enough to do it correctly so AHS dispatched a second company who gave an even higher estimate because they wanted to replace a panel inside the basement as well (which was not necessary) but their estimate was $2700. AHS was definitely not going to pay that so they gave the job back to the first company and agreed to pay $225. After over a month without power I decided to take the cash out option and hire another company (a master electrician) to do the repairs. I paid him $680 and the job was done and power restored in approx. 3 hours. After that I vowed that I would make AHS reimburse me for the additional $445 that I spent for repairs that should have been covered under my home warranty. I was so frustrated with AHS. I had been with AHS for 7 years, paid my monthly premiums faithfully and never had any major claims submitted and this is what they do to a loyal customer. I filed a complaint against them with the Attorney General, Better Busines Bureau, and the Federal Trade Commission. After the Attorney Generals office pick up my claim, and started being the mediator between AHS and myself we corresponded for about 2 months. AHS finally stated that their position stands and they will not reimburse me. I let the AG office know that I do not accept AHS response but since their position stood and they will not reimburse me, I will pursue other avenues against AHS to make them pay. Approx, 2 weeks after they saw that I had no intentions of backing down from this, AHS sent a response that they will agree to reimburse me $454 and attach a disclaimer that if I cash the check, it relieves them of all liability. This was in July 2007 so I had to fight them for 4 months in order to get my money. I acccepted the offer since that's all I wanted in the first place. Right after I got my cash out check of $225 from AHS and paid for the additional repairs myself which was in May 2007 I canceled my contract with AHS and switched to Home Warranty of America. I haven't had any problems with the new company and I have submitted 2 claims already.

BIBI,

those other companiers you have dealt with must be pretty bad because American Home Shield is hands-down the worst company I have ever dealth with. I bet you the people who work there can't sleep at night or look themselves in the mirror...they are all a bunch of crooks and liars. Run as fast as you can away from AHS.

but again.... i tell you..... GOOD LUCK!

Im sorry to tell you, but you made a BIG mistake. HWA will try to find any little dumb reason not to cover you repairs.

You must have been dealing with some one @ AHS who didnt know what they were doing at the time, because AHS is one of the BEST Insurance companys around, and it has been for years. I tell you from expereince.

My boss is a contractor for AHS, HWA, and NHP, and many more. And let me tell you AHS is the only company we never have any problems with in covering for repairs 99.9% of the time they will authorize us to complete the job.

View more comments (2)