American Home Shield Reviews

Show reviews that mention
service ahs customer customer service home repair phone problem water heater contract
Filter review
An AHS Home Warranty was purchased by the sellers of our new home as part of our recent sales contract. We had the first opportunity to attempt use the warranty for a dishwasher/plumbing issue. After placing an online service request, we received an email...

I am contacting my attorney in the morning I am tired of dealing with them. Three contractors and the problem is still not resolved

Orlando, Florida

American Home Shield Sucks- stay away

Clothes dryer broke Aug 09. 4 Days later AHS repairman came and fixed. One week later dryer broke again 09-10-09, called that day. On 9-14-09 same repair guy came out. Confessed he must have broken part on installing. Said it would take a week to get part in. It is a kenmore dryer and we have a Sears part store in town. Repair guy said he did not deal with Sears. On 09-17-09 called AHS about job, asked for Supervisor, 30 min later had to hang up. Called AHS again yesterday, I was told part was in. Spoke to supervisor, all she did was apologize. Today is day 12, and I called again. I was told they hoped to squeeze me in on Thursday. I was told that the technician sick. Technician should have gotten me a part that day since he said he probably broke it. No one at AHS seems to understand or care. Stay away from these guys. As with all insurance companies, they just want your money, not your phone calls.

American Homeshield sent a plumber out several times to fix a leak on my hot water pipe under the house. The plumber used “duck tape” to repair the pipe.

Needless to say, the duck tape didn’t fix the leak. However, Mostly all of our walls cracked and our floors buckled causing costly damages to our home. Our children were sick from mold and my family had to go without hot water in very cold weather. We are suing American Homeshield and the plumber for the damages to our home, health, and living conditions.

While American Homeshield tries their best to get out of being responsible for the damages, they also sent us a letter saying that they are not renewing our contract. Oouuuch! Talk about insult to injury. If you are or used to be a customer or contractor I will be very grateful if I can get a statement from you sent to my email bpsashington@***.net.

Or call me (251)232-****. I am especially interested in hearing from any contactors and former American Homeshield employees that can vouch for American Homeshield’s encouragement to make cheap repairs that only puts a temporary band-aid on the problem and their deceptiveness with denying claims that should be covered. Customers that share horror stories like mine and ended up with damage to their homes, I’d love to hear from you as well.

I am not looking for anyone to testify in court, only a true statement. I will also be willing to give my statement to anyone who needs it.

I am an Insurance Agent for Farmers and yes I do appreciate the money, but I am here to help my customers, that is my business. I would not survive without my customers and their calls.

Not all Insurance is the same, the bad ones make terrible reputations for people that actually care. Thanks.

Selma, Alabama
Having had problems with water heater, leaking shower, garage door, and refrigerator door in a house we purchased I have had an adequate trial of AHS -- according to AHS, not a single one of these problems was "covered" under the warranty. AHS has carefully sculpted...

If you are disgusted with AHS's business tactics, customer relations AND DENIAL OF TRUE, VALID CLAIMS (ie: Breach of Contract)....

Here's some info:

If you're seeking CEO David Crawford's voicemail - here's how.

Dial 1-86*-***-**** as stated above. When the phone system says "Thank you for calling American Home Shield.... please enter your Representative's Extension" -

DO THE FOLLOWING:

Enter Ext. # 1000

The Greeting will then say: "Welcome to Avia Messaging, please enter the mailbox # of the person you are calling.... IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE MAILBOX NUMBER, PRESS STAR (*) TO SPELL THE NAME"....

After that sentence, IMMEDIATELY PRESS STAR (*) - then spell David Crawford's LAST NAME:

just input, "CRAW".... you will then be taken to: DAVE CRAWFORD'S VOICEMAIL....

Kindly leave your message.

If you want to call bluff - redial the 1-866 number above, go to Ext. 1000 and then input Judy's Extension "2100" (Judy Peedic - The Executive Assistant to David Crawford) - it will take you to her voicemail (or she will pick up) - so the Avia Messaging System is that of AHS...

Also, another Executive Assistant to David Crawford is a person by the name of "Matthew Boyd" his extension is 2103 at the same 1-866 number listed above (again, his extension also works in the Avia Messaging System @ AHS).

I hope American Home Shield makes right on alot of the breach of contract issues... :)

PASS THE INFO ON TO ANY SITE YOU SEE THAT CONTAINS AHS COMPLAINTS!!!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

AHS charged me 3 times for trying to repair same unit

I am so annoyed with American Home Shield. I have sent 3 e-mails to the company and not one response. On April 30 I contacted AHS about my central air conditioner not working. A repair man was sent out one day later. He looked it all over and then discovered it was just a flipped circuit breaker. He put the unit on and it flowed nice cool air. The unit worked just fine until July 28th. Again a repairman came out . He worked for one hour and said the unit should work fine . AGAIN I paid 60.00 The unit did work fine until Aug. 13th. Again a repairman came out. Hwe said that the compressor was shot and the lines clogged. Again I paid 60.00 A total of 3 times!!! AHS says the unit was not properly cared for and will not cover the repairs. Go figure . It was fixed and worked 2 times. This comapny is a scam. Believe nothing they say. I onlkywish I had read this site before I signed on with ahs

Horsham, Pennsylvania
Loss

American Home Shield wouldn't fix a hot water until it burst

On August 14,2009, American Home Shield sent a plumber to look at our hot water heaters that were making loud banging noises. The plumber said they needed to be replaced. AHS decided NOT to replace them. On September 1,2009 our hot water heater burst and our ceiling collapsed into our kitchen. AHS is not willing to pay for secondary damages even though AHS knew that there was a problem and decided not to address it until our ceiling fell into our kitchen. Now AHS is to only replace one of the heaters. I am filing a complaint with the Texas Real Estate Commission. I have been waiting for a call from customer relations and have not received one yet. This is unethical, and on some level consumer fraud. AHS knew that there was a problem before the heater burst and they chose not to replace the heater, now we have a big mess on our hands and they simply are refusing to pay for damages and even replace the 2nd heater until it burst and the ceiling falls again. This is a problem and someone has got to hold them accountable. Damage Resulting = A 4\' x 4\' section of insulation and sheetrock fell into our kitchen and there is water damage to our hardwood floors in the kitchen.

I'm sure that if you had purchased the new water heaters they would have installed them.

Plano, Texas
Loss

Ahs sucks--please do not purchase this

They have given us nothing but issues since we have requested a dishwasher. They sent one guy out, who didn't even take about the box where the motor is, he went back to AHS and said we were negligent and then we were told we weren't covered. so we called back, and they sent anohter guy out, who opened the box and said we shouldn't even lock the dishwasher b/c our dishwasher could catch on fire. We had a nice kenmore and they want to replace it with a GE, they want us to pay for someone to install it. No one knows what is going on, we get told something one second, and then turn around and it changes...I will never get a home warranty again

thank you for your remarks. I was going to purchase the warranty but after reading all the negative reviews, I will save myself the money and headaches.

Beachwood, Ohio

Acct 07964-0****34035

To Whom It May Concern; I have been sent to collections by American Home Shield, for not having paid property insurance. I have not lived at that place for a year and half; now, it has been on short sale for a few months - 4648 Utah Street - 3 - San Diego, CA 92116. I do not see why I should pay for something that is not even mine anymore. I have never left anything unpaid, but, I do not see why pay anything on that property. Please, help me with this matter. Your kind attention on this matter will be appreciated. Eva Hananel

Are you kidding me? You have a contract.

I understand you do not live there or are selling it, but what does that have to do with AHS. If you have a year contract, you have to complete the terms of that contract. I have had AHS and actually found it to be a wast of money for me.

But i sure paid the entire contracted amount. Thats called living up to your responsibilities.

Tijuana, Mexico

Ripping off customers by american home shield

I called AHS for a ac repair and a ceiling fan repair. I cancelled the ceiling fan repair but kept the ac repair in May of 2009. The technician came and was paid the $60 service fee. I was not home but my 22 year old son was. I have not received a bill saying I still owe the 60 in August. I called and AHS says the service provider indicates I did not pay. this is wrong as someone is trying to get extra money. This is indeed a rip off. Even if I did pay in cash, the company should not lie.
Knoxville, Tennessee

Rip off AHS

AHS is a rip off. Make sure you keep all of your cancellation information as they will continue to bill you and then put you on dept collection even when you are paying in advance and cancel. Make sure they send you a written cancellation and hold on to it when the want to take you to collection you will need it. I'm in the process of still getting out of this headache after months of dealing with them. If you ever have the choice do not take the home warranty. The headache in the end are not worth it. For any Realtor to recommend this is a bad mistake.

:cry

This company is full of it, they are jack the ripper rip off. I have been w/o air for 6 days now and they dont care.

This company is a BIG SCAM. American Home Shield, will never respond for any repair on time.

They will never replace any coverage equipment under any circumstances. So I urge you not to waste your valuable time and money on this company.

You are better of calling a service company, and most likely they will be there next day. :(

On Tuesday July 28, upon arrival at home, I noticed that the house was really hot. I checked the air conditions thermostat to see a reading of 98 degrees. I immediately called American Home Shield to get an air condition person out here as soon as possible. The first customer service rep, Andrea, provided me with the name and number of US Heating and Air Conditioning. The representative for them informed me that the earliest they could get a tech out would be Friday.

The second customer services of AHS, Coco, provided me with the number to Air Doctor but the number only had an answering machine to take their calls. I left a message but and waited for a response. While waiting I called back to AHS and received very bad treatment by the next customer service person. Because of the condition of the house getting hotter, I felt the need to call and seek another company. But this customer service person would not provide any assistance. I requested to speak with a supervisor and was refused.

The following morning I called back to Air Doctor and made an appointment for a tech to come out between the hours of 2 and 4 p.m. on Wednesday. Mr. McCloud had contacted AHS that same morning and the customer service person called Air Doctor and informed him that they were scheduled to come out that day. Mr. McCloud was under the impression that AHS made the appointment but I made it.

At 2 p.m. I began to inquire if someone was going to actually come out or not. The receptionist at Air Doctor stated “I was next to get service”. I called again at 3, 3:30 and gain at 4 when I got the answering machine. I was not aware that Mr. McCloud was also in communication but through AHS by having a customer service person their call Air Doctor at 3:30 where he was informed that “as soon as the tech finishes with the job he Is on he will be to my resident. Mr. McCloud continued to communicate with AHS trying to get them to get in contact with the tech to expedite the order so we would not have to spend two nights in a house over 97 degrees.

At round 4:45 the technician showed up. He arrived, walked over to the outside unit and without touching it stated with stuff or some sort of tobacco in his lip, “the compressor is out”. I asked if it could be fixed. The tech blasted me by saying “you think I carry this type of equipment around with me? It will take at least two to three weeks before we will have it.” The tech stated that Air Doctor was the one who installed the unit and that the previous customer was having problems with it. He began to write up the service receipt and then stated “that will be $75.” My thought was for what. He never took the unit apart, looked inside or nothing really. If he can provide a diagnosis without touching a unit he is in the wrong profession. I refused to pay the service fee and gave him a few choice words as I sent him on his way.

I then went to the phone book to find a reputable company that was concerned about the customer and spoke with Pat with Air National. They immediately dispatched two techs out who took the unit apart and gave it a good diagnosis. They stated that they could do a temporary repair but in the next couple of months or more it will go out. This was not new information to us because (as you will see with the attached document) Joe Cool was dispatched out by AHS last year who told us the same thing when they replaced the compressor on 09-02-08.

In the mean time, Mr. McCloud is on the phone with AHS customer service attempting to get a diagnosis from the Air Doctor tech who ignored the emergency calls placed to him by three customer service persons and two by Mr. McCloud to contact AHS ASAP. One of the customer service reps did offer to compensate us with a room for a night at $60 per night rate but we would have to send in the receipt to get reimbursed. Another customer service person stated that if we went outside of our contract and used a outside vendor for the services, we would be liable for all expenses.

By this time, the conclusion was pretty clear, that we needed to get air by any means necessary. So Air National installed a complete unit that evening. Their service techs did not leave our resident till 2:15. They returned the next evening and spent another three hours completing the task and insuring that it was operating properly.

On Thursday I contacted AHS and inquired about the service from Air Doctor and was told that we needed to contact the vendor and to handle any complaints. After speaking with Air Doctor and to have them state that they are standing behind their employee and attempted to justify the reason why the diagnosis was not called in the prior evening, Mr. McCloud called again to AHS. The customer service person stated that the information was received and being processed as we where speaking. Mr. McCloud requested to speak with a supervisor and was refused. The customer service person stated that because my name was not on the account I could not speak with anyone higher. After being told that Ms. Gabaldon would have to authorize his name being added to the policy and being put on hold, miraculously the CS person stated “your name has been added to the policy”.

By this time we were done with AHS and informed the CS person that we would be canceling our service. She stated that she would be informing the cancelation department and that within 48 hrs someone would be contacting us. Mr. McCloud called you on Monday after getting no response.

Corey, we are depending on you to show us personally that American Home Shield does care about its customers, will stand by their customers and will insure that the service they receive is above and beyond their expectation or the companies that do not provide this will not be a member of AHS. Please keep both of us informed on all future aspects of this inquiry.

Been there. If your annual is coming to an end...don't assume that it will end on it's own.

They are set for auto renew and YOU STILL HAVE TO GIVE 30 DAYS WRITTEN.

Everyone they send is in contract with "them"...so expect to have depreciation on everything...as the contracted help isn't there for your best interest. They are there to preserve a contract relationship with AHS!

View more comments (3)
South Bend, Indiana

Fraud billing

I purchased warranty on June 6,2009, called in a request for air conditioning service on June 26,2009. When a/c tech phoned me first thing he wanted to know was"how long have I had the warranty"..odd question I thought. next thing out of his mouth " I hate warranty work".. the tech stated my a/c unit was not repaired correctly by last licensed contractor so AHS decided not to repair my a/c unit due to last contractor error. I told AHS as a consumer how do I know if the last guy did it right or not, and not real sure about the tech they sent out. I cancel our policy right then. We paid for the month request refund, to date have yet to receive. I have called AHS several times (have a list of names) emailed them numerous times and to date NO REFUND.... The only reason we went with AHS is because they lead us to believe they were part of our bank Wells Fargo..yet another FRAUD ON AHS BEHALF.. I have just filed a complaint with the state attorney generals office and with our bank as I believe there if FRAUD as to the connection with Wells Fargo. Do your self a favor....DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

I would love to help you with this problem. Did you get your money back yet? I am not an attorney but I can provide you with information that will guarantee results or a refund.

Margie - Austin, Texas

512-341-****

Las Vegas, Nevada
American Home Shield Warranty
Sent a company to repair my c/a. They duct taped and ran plastic pipe all around my heating unit and condenser in the house in 2008. Water was running out from under the closet where the unit was. Another repairman discovered that the drip pan was too close ro the coil...

AHS is one cheating company who deals with unprofessionals. My friends who had no warranty were better off then us.

We feel like stupids to have got AHS.

Our heater failed 25 days back and still now no news from the company that came to check and AHS said they cant send any other company to fix it too. I am very very unhappy and it is extremely cold and we have to stay in hotels and friends places.

PLease dont ever take AHS.

Little Rock, Arkansas

AHS are douches!!!

Do not use this service! They are a ripoff--I am also in south texas getting to experience life in *** because they will not fix my ac. Had no reps available so they gave me "outside auth" then stated my ac tech who teaches ac work at a local community college doesnt know anything so they will not pay for equip needed. My ac tech states send me the equip then--they lie and say that it has been shipped and we never rec it. no one knows shipper or can provide tracking #. I am suing!!!! U should 2.

These people are true ripoff artist's. They are very good at what they do. Lying, taking you're money, providing *** service, giving you an attitude and giving you the runaround.

View more comments (2)
Ingleside, Texas
Loss

IT is hot as *** in my house

it is hot here in south Texas and my air has been out for a hold week my home warranty company patched it up and the next day no air so we will have to wait a week before they come out and put another patch on it . I am disable and my 6 month old grandchild live with me I am pissed off it is hot so if someone from this company American Home Shield tell them to go to *** because that how hot it is in my house. This was a waste of money they need to be put out of business.

San Antonio, Texas
Loss

American home Shield ***...do not use them you'll be sorry!

they couldn't and wouldn't help you in any way! I have spent everyday on the phone with them trying to get a diagnosis and fix my air conditioner and still ....3 weeks later no air and not even a company scheduled to come out. I am so sick of this company I want to die! We are thinking of suing them and definatly reporting them to the BBB. Eat me AHS and stick your policy where the sun don't shine. If you are smart you will run the other way. Their sales pitch is nothing but a pitch....it gets you absolutely nothing but frustration.

Norcross, Georgia

AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE! THEY DO NOTHING!!!!!!!

If you have this company plan to pay for nothing!!!!!!!!!!! We have had our air conditioner out for 3 weeks, paid out $240 in service calls to three different companies all for three different diagnosis of the problem and still nothing has been done to fix the problem. We don't even have a vendor scheduled to come out!!!!!!!! I have called them everyday, sometimes more than once talking to supervisors everytime and wouldn't you know......... they want us to pay for it too be fixed ourselves and just re-inburse us the "contracted" amount allowed by their company to fix it. I am so pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!! as soon as this is fixed we will be cancelling service.

Norcross, Georgia